[access-uk] Re: ssound blaster audidgy 1 or 2?

  • From: "Stephen Green" <STEPHEN.TINA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:16:38 +0100

I have to agree with Steve Nutt that the creative drivers for XP are very
poor., even including the audigy.

When I changed from win 98 SE to XP my extigy USB box developed a stutter
which couldn't be cured by the latest driver because once again creative had
stopped developing them.

So I bought an audigy 2 USB box and used the win XP drivers. Unfortunately
my computer started rebooting at odd intervals and I was forced to use the
bloatware creative ship with their products. I also had to have professional
help to install the software  as the initial screen on the installation disc
is completely graphical and is invisible to jaws. I then upgraded the
drivers twice with different updates from their website and was left with a
sound system that was exactly the same as the old extigy box.

Finally I scrapped the USB route and used my motherboard's native sound
output which is slightly les high fidelity, but doesn't stutter.

So my advice is steer clear of creative products, they have gone to pot
since the old Soundblaster days. Use the on board sound or some other card -
anything but creative.

Steve Green