[access-uk] request from NLB

  • From: "David Russell" <david.russell8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-Uk@Freelists. Org" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:20:54 +0100

Hi all

I have been asked to post the following message from NLB regarding
volunteers needed to test out their DAISY project.

NLB is about to start producing some books in DAISY format and we are
looking for people to test the service out during our pilot project. Further
information and contact details are below, I hope some of you will be able
to take part!

Cheers

Jon
--
Jon Hardisty
Librarian (Electronic Services)

Would you be interested in taking part in an exciting project to test DAISY
books for NLB?

Are you visually impaired, over 12 and a UK resident?

In order to offer more electronic books with more convenient access to our
readers, the National Library for the Blind (NLB), is working with Dolphin
Computer Access to run a DAISY pilot project in early autumn.

What is DAISY?

DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) is a form of electronic book,
which brings together a number of different formats (text, audio and
pictures) into an accessible, navigable, and digital book. DAISY books can
be played on reading software on PCs, in hardware players and stereo
equipment that supports MP3 output.

The Project

In order for us to be able to provide the most cost-effective electronic
library material to our customers, we would like you to try out a selection
of synthetically-voiced DAISY books and provide us with feedback on this new
form of reading. Your input will enable us to test the viability of DAISY
books, improve its current quality and provide important user-feedback to
Dolphin about the EaseReader software.

What you get from us

For your help with this project, we will provide you with a user-pack, which
includes a free copy of Dolphin's EaseReader (the DAISY reading software for
your PC), a selection of DAISY books on CDs, as well as supporting
information to help you install the software and access the books.

What we want from you

All we ask is that you load the EaseReader software onto your PC, read the
DAISY books supplied, fill in our questionnaire and send it back to us.

Still interested?

If you would like to take part, please send an email to:
nlbdaisy@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:nlbdaisy@xxxxxxxxxxx>  telling us your name,
age, whether you are a member of NLB, telephone number, email address and
home address. Please could you also advise us whether you prefer to receive
the questionnaire by email, large print or Braille. If you have any further
enquiries, please feel free to contact us at nlbdaisy@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:nlbdaisy@xxxxxxxxxxx> , or visit the NLB website at
http://www.nlb-online.org <http://www.nlb-online.org/> .

Thank-you!
The DAISY Project team

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this emails content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

NLB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
represent those of NLB.

NLB Registered Charity Number: 213212
Website: http://www.nlb-online.org

** vacation ## d