[access-uk] Re: moving messages into a hotmail account

  • From: "Amro Bilal" <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 15:43:55 +0100

Hi Terry,

OK. There's another way of doing this too.

First create a folder in your OE list of folders. menu bar > file > folder >
new. In the dialog box type a name for your new folder say Hotmail archive, and
make sure you're on Local Folders in the folder list view before you OK.

Second go to menu > tools > accounts. Open the properties of your Hotmail
account and go to the advanced page. Tap few times and check the check box that
says leave a copy of messages on server. Now OE will leave a copy of your
messages on the hotmail servers when downloading your messages so if you access
hotmail from another computer or format your machine and download your messages
again they will be all there. However, to keep your inbox tidy, below the leave
a copy of messages checkbox in the advanced page, there're two checkboxes,
remove from server after, and, remove from server when deleted from deleted
items. Those checkboxes do what they say when checked. Personally I have the
box remove from server when deleted from deleted items checked. Now any
messages I want to keep I move into another folder in my OE; this can be your
new folder (Hotmail archive). And every few days or when the deleted items
folder gets too big I empty it. This way my inboxes are kept tidy, any messages
I want to keep are stored safely on a separate folder in my OE and a copy of
them on my email provider servers too.

Please note that you control the leaving copies of messages on server feature
independently for each email account you have. That's actually good so you can
choose to keep copy of messages for your Hotmail account on server but not to
for your say Yahoo account.

Having said that, you certainly can go down the Windows Mail or Outlook route
as Ibrahim suggested. I personally tried Windows Mail and found using it with
Jaws on my XP machine a real pain despite FS claims. I only hope that Jaws
works better with WM on Vista/Windows 7 OS computers cause eventually one will
be upgrading to Windows 7 I suppose. Well, unless I migrate to Apple before
then which seems to become a more viable choice every day. But this discussion
is for another thread!

HTH,
Amro