[access-uk] Re: mobiles query

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 14:42:22 +0100

It's been a while since I last did a pay as you go phone, the last one was a
Virgin some years ago which remained unregistered for a considerable period of
months despite which worked and topped up fine.  The registration as far as I
know does not take place at the shop to this day.  You usually can register
later and as far as I know is not contingent upon the phone's activation.
Therefore there is a real risk these dissappear to an unknown and effectively
untraceable owner.  Also since no actually billing takes place it is possible
to provide any, or perhaps no address at all.  There have been repeated
attempts to enforce a full registration policy for these type of phones that
has as far as I know has been resisted by the industry on the basis of not
frightening customers away,  Now perhaps that that market is no longer actually
expanding in any meaningful way the phone companies will be more interested in
donig it.  The security measure you describe is therefore likely to be the
industry's way of meeting government agencies and attendant security
organisations halfway.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology