[access-uk] Re: galaxy s3 mini or soni experia m?

  • From: Michael A Ray <mike.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 15:53:18 +0100

Alistair,

I currently have bot!

I have a Sony Experia I bought on the recycle-it list and an S3 mini I got from Vodafone.

I will give my thoughts on both handsets:

1. The S3 Mini.

It is a good handset and I have been surprised how I have managed with the on-screen keyboard. I did have to get my sister to take the handset to the Vodafone shop to get talkback switched on because none of the sighted people I got to try to help me with it managed to do this.

Also, learning to unlock the screen took me about three days because what the phone says is not strictly correct. It speaks "double tap and slide right to unlock" when it is actually tap once and hold down on the second tap and slide right.

It is slightly annoying that the S3 has a slightly modified version of Android.

2. The Sony Experia.

This is a lovely phone. Unlocking the screen is a lot easier but this might be because I spent some time with the touch-screen interface of the S3 before I came to the Experia.

Having a hardware keyboard is nice but as I said I don't find the on-screen keyboard that hard anywhere.

3. In comparison.

The two things that keeps me using the Experia instead of the S3 are these:

a) The S3 is deaf. When the S3 says 'no phone', in other words no signal, the Experia is showing three bars. This is a problem with manufacturers trying to shrink the size and weight of phones but the Sony seems to have it right.

b) Because I can't find how to turn off predictive texting and can't get to grips with the way to select suggest words I prefer to text with the hardware keyboard on the Sony.

Now a note of caution...

For the first couple of weeks of having a touch-screen phone I wanted to throw it against the wall. You might be a much more patient man than I am but try to keep your cool because when you crack it you will wonder what the fuss was all about.

In conclusion I seem to be using the Sony more than the S3 purely because the S3 is deaf and in this house, at the lowest point of the village, signal is marginal.

And the most annoying about both phones is the lack of a proximity sensor to stop my face pressing buttons when I am on the phone.

Mike

On 10/10/2013 13:06, Alistair wrote:
Hi folks, my trusty old nokia finally bit the dust yesterday,we kept it as a spare phone which has proved to be useful. My carrier orange has offered me a reasonable deal on these handsets, anyone currently using either? Haven’t used android before as we have a iphone as our main mobile, so will the android handsets accessibility be of a good standard? Any thoughts or help would be great especially if you are using either phone!
thanks
alistair

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

Ham Radio Call-sign: G4XBF, licensed since 1982

Don't just sit there, learn something

Raspberry VI:
http://www.raspberryvi.org/
NVDA, the best free screen-reader in the world:
http://www.nvda-project.org/