[access-uk] eloquence for android review

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BCAB Discussion List <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 16:03:32 +0100

hi everyone.

i just thought i'd write a quick review on eloquence for android which was released not long ago. i've installed it. it works ok, though i'd have liked to see more control over the pitch. the standard pitch is much too low for my liking, and when you change it to the next denomination, the voice goes higher but too high for my liking. its a bit like jaws with mild constipation. in other words, i'd have liked it if code factory included more pitch denominations, to allow more control over how much the pitch increases so it sounds like jaws on a default install. also, i had to check the box that forces the pitch change instead of using the pitch that applications set before the pitch would change. quite what use this is i don't know, as applications i've used don't set their own pitch as far as i know. i've reported this issue over on the code factory mailing list so we'll see what they say. overall, its worth buying if you like the jaws voice. it could do with being more responsive, the most responsive voice on android is ESpeak and i don't think there will ever be an engine to beet it, but eloquence is pretty close as well as long as you have a handset with a dual core processor or better. its certainly more responsive than the higher quality voices from google or other developers.

Mo.