[access-uk] Re: digital radio

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:56:55 +0100

Vince, and anyone interested, the Pure Sonus talking DAB radio is sometimes to
be seen at Comet, Currys and one or two other shops I've  been in, although
when it is in those places its usually a bit over £100.  Its available from
Cobolt systems  for  £99.95.Their number is:
 01493-700172

Tristram's idea of widening the appeal of talking DAB radios to embrace the car
market is a good one, and I think its worth pointing out to them if the right
place for such suggestions can be found.

Thanks to Vince for sorting out the Roberts talking radio mystery.  I'm  glad
Wireless for the Blind Fund may have found a useful role for itself as a
specifier and fixer of talking radio manufacture.  At the grave risk of drawing
fire from loyal supporters of this charity, I'd have thought that, other than
worthy initiatives like this one, its sell-by date had passed some time ago.  I
won't be convinced that people now, and for some time, cannot afford a radio,
or the batteries for it, if they are still reckoning to supply batteries.  Far
better they alter their aims and divert their resources to remedying more
obvious needs in blind people's lives.

Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx

    From: Tristram Llewellyn

    If I had been a Pure executive or whatever I would have suggested they make
a car radio that speaks rather than radio for the blind.  This is eminently
marketable within an environment where drivers are becoming more accustomed to
speech eg. when using GPS navigation systems.  The cost of such development
would then be more economic when shared out with product development that has a
very limited market but is also applicable.

    Regards.

    Tristram Llewellyn
        From: Tristram Llewellyn

        I did a sweep earlier today and could find no public information about
this.  It would be interesting if someone turns up a positive.  Roberts were
initially aproached some years ago to develop a talking portable DAB set but
went off the idea fairly rapidly.  This left the way clear for Pure somewhat
later to develop a set, and have described sales of their set as dissapointing.

        Regards.

        Tristram Llewellyn