[access-uk] Re: connecting usb 1 compatable device in usb 2 slot/backwards campateble

  • From: Darren Brewer <darren.m.brewer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 09:55:29 -0700

Justin
Well in theory yes that's what backwards compatible means. But of course
as with everything, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but USB
is pretty sound.  In the case of USB the difference between 1 & 2 is
that obviously 2 is faster.  But the way the ports communicate with each
other hasn't really changed, just the bandwidth capability.  So you can
use a USB 1 in a USB 2 port & vice versa.  Although if you use a device
that is specifically USB 2 and you plug it into a USB 1 it will have to
work at the slower speed.

Hope thats of some help.
Darren