[access-uk] accessibility of boots.com

  • From: "Damon" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:30:20 -0000

    HI there.

Does anyone use boots.com successfully?

I was trying to purchase a few items in a last minute panic birthday gift
buying session but encountered a thoroughly annoying problem.

The site seemed pretty good and accessible bar one silly little thing.

When you get to the point where you want to buy, it gives you two tickboxes
asking you if you want to buy your goods using a credit card or by using
PayPal.

Great to be able to choose PayPal as an option but, for me, the seemingly
simple tickboxes wouldn't work so I was unable to tell the system which method
I wanted to use for my payment.

I wanted to check the box next to credit card so I hit the spacebar on the box.
A tick did not appear.

I then hit enter on the tickbox, it went into forms mode but the box did not
tick itself.

I even attempted a few different ways of using the jaws cursor to help me left
click in the tickbox and even threw a few random left clicks in the general
vacinity which I've sometimes seen work.

Essentially I tried my very hardest but jaws 10 wasn't allowing me to tick this
darn box. SO I was unable to spend the 25 pounds I wanted to spend and went
elsewhere.

I find it a bit weird that such a simple old fashioned tickbox didn't work. Has
anyone any ideas of how it may have been coded or developed in such a manner
that jaws can't deal with it?

Also, jaws didn't report it was a radio button which I'm guessing it must've
been - i.e. you wouldn't be able to tick both credit card and PayPal.

I'm hoping it's not just my computer. I was using my NC10 with XP home, IE7 and
jaws 10.

I'm wanting to give feedback to boots and/or freedom scientific to get this
moving. I'm intending to have a proactive year, righting website wrongs as I
come across them. I had some recent success making BBCShop.com accessible after
sending just one email then demoing the problem to them.  Interestingly when I
spoke to them they told me they had had a downturn in sales whereby people were
putting lots of goods in their basket but then not buying them - I wonder if
the access issue was anything to do with this. Sometimes developers miss small
things that are seemingly obvious and many companies do minimal user testing if
any.

Also, is anyone using this social accessibility tool from IBM?

Thanks

...Damon