[access-uk] Wireless network and the dreaded Norton

  • From: "Clive Pallett" <clive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:16:49 +0100

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to report we have now successfully set up our wireless network
using the Netgear DG134G router.  the only problem we had was with my
Toshiba laptop.  when I set up my machine to access the network and
connected to the web for the first time, a security alert came up warning
me the firewall had been turned off and to go into my Norton product to
solve the problem.  At first I thought it was the wireless card so I
rebooted without it and the same box kept popping up.  I was locked out of
the network and couldn't get on the web.  thanks to Barry Hill for sending
the info to remove Norton.  I had Norton Internet Security and Anti-Virus
installed and as I purchased the machine two weeks ago I knew it would have
the latest software.  Using one of our desktop PC's,  I downloaded
SymNRT.exe, the Norton removal tool for versions
2004 and 2005.  Unfortunately, there is no keyboard access,  you need a
mouse to run the program, which strips Norton right out of your system.  If
you cannot see the screen you will need sighted assistance.  After
rebooting I had to run the network wizard again, making sure to select the
Windows firewall to allow access to the network.  I then installed AVG 7.0
Free edition with no problems.

I have saved the Norton removal tool for future use, in the event of a
complete reinstall of the Toshiba recovery CD.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett