[access-uk] Re: Windows Update

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:06:27 +0100

I had the error code X80072EE2 from the new look Microsoft Windows Update
site.  George is quite right that this code is not reported in any articles
but error code X80072EE7 is and gives a clue as to what is wrong here.

The article helpfully explains that this could be due to an incorrectly
configured firewall but does (not helpfully) elaborate on this.  The
following methodology may help in resolving this problem.
1    Close all other web pages you may have open except for Windows update.
2    Get into your firewall and set it to allow all traffice.
3    See if Windows update will go through properly having effectively
turned off the firewall.  If it does we know that Microsoft could be right
that your firewall is not properly configured.
4    Re-enable the firewall and set it to report instantly what is requiring
access to the internet.
5    Return to Windows Update page.
6    Now see what get's triggered as you scan for updates, it's very likely
that whatever comes up is being blocked by your firewall.
7    Note down the affected application and then configure the firewall not
to block this particular application.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology