[access-uk] Re: Windows 8 search and how to turn things off

  • From: "John Wilson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "j.wilson07" for DMARC)
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 20:11:54 +0100

Hello again David,

This is very interesting. I had no idea that you had to specify a folder or do this indexing to get your whole hard disk searched. The OS I used before Win 8.1 was XP and this was significantly superior in this searching respect (or,at least, more automatic) than this Win 8 business.

I often have to search for files which have saved somewhere else than where I thought they were going to save to or those which I have forgotten where I meant to put them. Therefore, I have no idea where they are and need a full HD search. How would I set things up to do this automatically?

By the way, I've looked for the Indexing options dialog, in the Control panel
, as you suggest but there is no such thing in my Control Pannel and not in the menus of the CP either!

I did a Windows Key search and found several references to Indexing Options but none of these seem to allow me to make the additions to where my searches are done. The only three places I am told that are currently indexed are: Internet Explorer History, Start Menu and Users....

What do you suggest now?

Thanks.

John.

On 04/08/2016 08:31, David Bailes wrote:

Hi John,
when you search for these files that you can't find, do you know which folder they are in?

When you search from the start screen ,the only folders which are searched are those that are indexed. By default these are your personal folder, and all the folders included in your libraries, and your SkyDrive folder (if present). Your personal folder includes folders like documents and music.

If you want some other folder to be searched for files, you can either include it in an existing or a new library, or manually add it to the folders to be indexed. You can do this in the Indexing options dialog, in the Control panel.

If the folder isn't indexed and you want further instructions to change that, then just ask,

David.