[access-uk] Website security question

  • From: "Catherine Turner" <catherineturner2007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Access-UK <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:19:42 +0000

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that unless a site has an https address it's
not using encryption?  I've always gone by the principle that if a
site doesn't have https at the start of the address I don't fill in
card details.  But now there's a site I want to register with which
has a form for filling in my card details as part of the registration
process, but the address of that page is not https, just http.  Is my
policy sensible?  Can data I send be encrypted if the address isn't
https?  I'm not signed in on this site or anywhere else at the time,
this is literally a form I'm filling in to register and the address is
not https.

Catherine