[access-uk] Re: WEBSITE USABILITY QUERY

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:01:50 +0100

Hi Ian,

I'm no HTML expert, but if you want a page to read in any kind of
sequence, you have to arrange the HTML source code in that sequence.
(If you open the source in Notepad, you can trace what I mean in the
following.)

I've stripped out the HTML Tags here, but the following is the start of
a small section of code from the page.

Helicopter Girl
Keane
Norah Jones

I believe how it should be sequenced, is:-

Helicopter Girl -  Angel City
Keane  - ALBUM: Hopes And Fears
Norah Jones - What Am I To You

As further proof, ask a sighted mouse user to position the mouse pointer
on "Helicopter Girl", hold down the left mouse button, and drag
downwards.  They will notice that the left hand column gets highlighted
first, and then as you reach the bottom of that column, the right hand
column suddenly gets highlighted.

In short, a screen reader looking at the underlying HTML code, doesn't
know that "Angel City" way down the code, is linked to "Helicopter Girl"
further back.

Your web designers will love you for this one!  (Smile)

George.
=20

=0AThis Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee Groupshield.