[access-uk] Re: Variable CD quality when ripping

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:23:07 +0100

Hi Clive.

I think you have two problems here.

Firstly, either the software player or your laptop speakers or soundcard are not of the same quality as your CD player and that is why the disc doesn't sound as good as when played on your CD player.

Secondly, when you are ripping you need to ensure that you have selected the best settings for the quality that you're looking for. As already suggested, use the highest bit rate possible and make sure you have it set to rip in stereo, etc. If you want CD quality, rip to FLAC or Apple Lossless so as not to be disappointed.

The ripping process is purely in the digital domain and so no amount of cleaning or changing your drive will change the quality of the output, it is purely down to the encoder you are using and the settings you have chosen. That said, dirty discs and drives can result in glitches in the end result such as skips, scratches and the like, but not the overall quality of the music.

Regards.

Kevin

-----Original Message----- From: Clive Pallett
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:19 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Variable CD quality when ripping

Hello everyone,

Has anyone come across this problem when ripping CD's to play on a portable
device?  So far I have found two CD albums, both on two discs, which play
normally on my Cd player, but when I play them using the DVD drive on my HP
laptop they sound as if they have been recorded in a very low bit rate and
sound muddy.  Obviously, when I convert them to MP3 files, the sound quality
is worse. One album is audio, the bob Newhart collection, the other album is music, the Look of Love featuring 50 songs by burt Bacharach. My question is: has this anything to do with how the discs were pressed or the quality of the recording? I have recently changed the program for ripping from CDex and have
purchased the excellent DB Poweramp, which has the option to play the CD
before ripping it.  I will use this option for my future ripping sessions to
check the disc before being disappointed with poor results.  Before you
suggest this, I have cleaned the DVD drive and it makes no difference.  All
other Cd's I have tried and ripped thus far are fine.

any help or suggestions with this are most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett