[access-uk] Unpredictable Jaws

  • From: "G. McFarlane" <gmcf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jaws UK" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:35:31 -0000

Hi
I've had a problem with Jaws for the past few days. It seems to stop reading in
some lists eg. the right hand column of Windows Explorer - it moves to the
files and will announce the number of the file but not the name. Similarly in
other programs it seems choosy about which screens or part screens it wants to
read.I believe it had to be Jaws or my Nvidia video drivers. It started with my
screen getting upset by a bad reboot (something which can happen to Nvidia
drivers). I normally reload the drivers and things go back to normal. Not this
time however with the resultant abovementioned problem.

First of all I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers -I've never found some of them to
be fully satisfactory and had to try a few (usually of the older ones) to get
them to function. Still no joy.

M;y next thought was to upgrade to Jaws 6. Still the same problem remained. I'm
now wondering if I've damaged the video intercept chain. Can anyone throw any
light on the subject. At present when the screen does not get read, I unload
Jaws with Insert F4 then re load it. It works then for a while.

Looking forward to some responses.

Thanks

Gordon McFarlane
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.