[access-uk] Tip 64GB SD Card on Sandisk Clip Talking Mp3 Player

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 09:40:12 +0100

Given the advertised ability to use a 64GB Micro SD Card in the Sandisk Talking Mp3 player, and the current availability of these cards for £13 on Amazon it seemed a no-brainer to buy one of these. After it arrived though I was a bit mystified when the Sandisk completely failed to recognise the larger capacity card in use, even though it was showing up in My Computer.

To cut a long story short it appears you need to format a 64 GB as FAT 32 before the Sandisk will recognise it. To complicate matters Windows 10 will not allow you to format a 64GB SD card as FAT 32, NTFS and X-Fat are the only available options. I tried downoading a couple of Windows utilities which claimed to do what I wanted but both started to crash alarmingly.

It appears that I already had a solution at hand though with my Mac. For once Apple appear to be less of a Nanny than Microsoft and gave ready access to what I needed. I simply used the standard Disk Utility on my Mac and formatted the card as FAT 32. So far my Sandisk Talking Mp3 Player is recognising the card and the test music and folders I put on it absolutely fine.

I have yet to transfer over 30 GB of music to it but hopefully this will go without a hitch.

I realise that this will not help those who do not have access to a Mac. Perhaps somebody else will know of a more friendly Windows Utility which will allow FAT 32 formatting on 64GB Cards.

David Griffith

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq