[access-uk] Re: Tactile Maps

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:43:42 +0100

Hi, these days, mapss are on swell paper. They are much easier and cheaper to produce. A lot of schools make their own maps and diagrams. This is much better than the old situation where they had to spend hours designing thermoform ones as they do it on the computer, use existing ones as the basis, blow them up etc, print them and then run the swell paper through a fuser. You can't show quite the same things you could with vacuum formed or thermoform maps, but you can show a lot more than most RNIB maps try to on swell paper, if you know what you are doing and are reasonnably skilled with a fuser. As the process is temperature dependent, it is hard to mass produce with quite as much detail though.

Cheers
Dave