[access-uk] Skype questions

  • From: "JILLIAN GRANT" <geordiecompuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:25:08 +0100

Hi.

Using Jaws 10.0.1151U and Windows Vista Home Premium.

I've decided the time has come to get acquainted with Skype, and have a few
questions which are probably stupid to most of you but I'm somewhat lost.  I'm
using Skype 3.8, as it was already installed on my machine and I've never dealt
with it before so although I know that 4 has better audio quality I need to use
the most accessible version at least till I understand the programme.

The first and possibly most important is I've looked at the webpage with the
scripts but have no clu as to what I should be installing.  I see lots of links
for various revisions and have read bits and bobs, but don't understand with
what I'm dealing.

I've created my account but have no idea how skype works, as in how it actually
operates with my voip phone etc.  The only voip phone I have came with my bt
broadband package and I don't even know how to work the phone let alone
anything else.  I understand that I will be talking to people through my
computer and not into the handset itself.  That's about all.  How well will it
work on an integrated sound card?  Do I need to do anything with my voip phone
before I try to connect?  I believe skype to be free, but will I be charged by
bt for anything?  I literally have no idea as to how it works as far as line
rental is concerned etc.

I think this is final for now, but a list of keystrokes and what they do would
be very useful.

I don't want to create unnecessary traffic so feel free to hit me off-list.  I
haven't tested my system yet, and feel somewhat nervous as I don't know what
I'm dealing with, but I reckon once I get familiarized with it, I'll love it.
I also don't feel ready to give my skype name just yet, but will do so in time.

Thank you in advance.

Jill.