[access-uk] Re: School bans little girls white cane

  • From: Eleanor Martha Burke <eleanormarthaburke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:18:12 +0000

how about the constant contact technique so that they can is not raised from
the ground at all.

On 20 Nov 2015, at 14:58, Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A point the article probably did not pick up on, with regard to the long cane
in particular,when using a cane by tapping the surface from side to side, the
proper procedure is to swing the cane in a wide arc with minimal elevation
from the ground so that the cane stays close to the ground thus minuimising
trip hazards.
in addidition to seeing(referring to sighted people) listening is equaly
important, the rythmic tap, tap. tap. of a long cane as it approaches should
warn the sighted person to pay attention as the sound comes closer.

lets turn the question round a bit, should we ban sighted people on the
grounds of "safety" because some sighted people run amok without due regard
to their surroundings?.

banning the use of a mobility aid on the grounds of"health and safety" is ,
in my view a cheap cop out fostered by the steady and unfortunate
demonization of people with disabilities,

It would be interesting to pose the question, why is this particular
individual being singled out? or is this a general ban by the school that
this child attends?

Just my penny's worth.

Reghards.
Shaun
On 19/11/2015 20:07, Mike Ray wrote:
Stupidity. I'd say I hope the RNIB have been consulted but they are a
bunch of ineffectual wasters now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-34855311