[access-uk] Re: SD card readers

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 22:13:09 +0100

My ISP says this message didn't reach the list on Friday, so sending
again.  If it is a repeat, then sorry.

        There are so many card readers around it is hard to make a positive
recommendation.  Sandisk seem very good, and maybe that's not a bad
place to start.

As to the handling of SD cards, yes, it could be an issue as they are
so small.  Interestingly the guy demonstrating the Vi-Reader at Sight
Village had recognized this as an issue for some people, so he'd
thoughtfully got a clip with a lanyard to hold the small cards so
people could grip them easily and not lose them.  I've no idea where
he sourced these, but I could probably sort out his contact details if
you think it worth pursuing.

Personally I find such on-going miniatureization or micro-ization a
bit of a pain, but it is the way things keep going, and SD does look
set to replace CF as the more common standard in many portable
devices.

Maybe not very helpful, but the Vi-Player could be regarded I suppose
as an SD reader and writer too, though that's not its main function of
course.  The ones from Sandisk, integral and the rest, are multi-card
readers.  (Morgan Computers here in Brum sell some of these readers,
though stock changes very quickly.)

Cheers,

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at: