[access-uk] Registry/various problems, help!

  • From: "Catherine Turner" <catherineturner2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:58:29 +0100

Hello all,

Ok it's all a bit muddled here, but I hope someone has any suggestions...

Today JAWS 7.0 on Windows XP Home stopped speaking, I waited for a bit and it didn't come back, so I switched the computer off by holding the power button down. After I switched it back on again it seemed like a dialog came up (could see something on screen but can't read it) but JAWS wasn't there. I just pressed enter which yeah maybe was stupid but didn't see that I had much option really since there's no one sighted about and when things like this have happened before on my old computer running Windows ME, when it started up again JAWS wouldn't always work straight away and scan disk would come up so pressing enter would cancel scan disk.

Anyway this silence on start up happened a few times, I kept just holding the power switch in to turn off and turned on again, after a few times JAWS came up again. Also a few of these times the sound happened which usually means some bad message has come up.

Anyway so when JAWS did come back there was a message along the lines of a file containing registry data was corrupt and another copy had to be used, the recovery was successful. I thought ok not good but seems ok.

Then I went into Outlook Express to discover that one of my folders has disappeared. The missing folder is still there in My Computer in the right place but OE doesn't seem to pick it up. So I thought maybe I should try repairing Outlook Express. So went to Control Panel to add/remove programs but neither Internet Explorer or Outlook Express seems to be listed there. Is this right? Shouldn't they be listed there? Maybe the reason they're not listed there is to do with the registry problem (scary!)

Also I got a message about a corrupt xml file to do with Skype which doesn't matter much in the scheme of things, but it said something about run the something or other utility, I didn't catch what. So I went into the system tray to find that message again and right clicked on it but it brought up the context menu as if I'd right clicked on the desktop. So I don't know what utility it's talking about cos then that message wasn't listed in System Tray.

So I guess I've got some problem with my registry?  What do I do about it?

Don't know if it's anything to do with it but earlier on before this all started I got an alert from AVG that it had found a virus. This virus was in a dll file. I said heal and it seemed to be ok...assumed that was ok but maybe that's part of the problem...

Obviously if JAWS dies again I need to get someone to read what those errors say! But apart from that, has anyone got any suggestions about what I do about a problem with the registry? How to try and repair OE? And is there any log where error messages are recorded so I could go and look what was going on while JAWS wasn't working and I was randomly pressing Enter?

Catherine
**
Skype: darkitude
MSN: catherineturner2000@xxxxxxxxxxx