[access-uk] Re: Question about Routers

  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:36:39 +0100

I'd second every word Andrew says here.  Two or three years
back, Andrew recommended the Draytek 2600 after I had failed
miserably to install two other makes on our server here at
the office.  It was up an running in minutes. Incidentally,
the units have an all important built in firewall

I later bought a second Draytek for home, complete with
802.11G wireless, USB printer port (very handy) and four
wired ports.  That too has been very reliable, and indeed I
now have the two routers connected such that I have a VPN
link between the office and home.

Equally beneficial is that these routers have a web
interface, meaning that if I do run into trouble, a tech
support person can be given permission to access them.

All in all, although more expensive in the short term, they
have more than proved their worth over the years.

George.

Hodgson
> Sent: 12 May 2005 08:43
> To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [access-uk] Re: Question about Routers
>
> Hi.
>
> I ahve had a look at the Netgear site and the product
looks
> fine.  You may want to search for reviews on the products,
> see what users think.  There always seems to be a battle
> between D-link and Netgear, one week one is better than
the
> other etc.  I have a D-link wireless access point, as I
have
> an older Draytek router with only 802.11B wireless, and it

> works very well, though the web interface is not, imho, as

> accessible or as well specified as the Draytek web
interface.

> Where I come from in recommending the Draytek products is
> that I know what they are capable of, I know their
features,
> and I have used them in homes and small businesses.
However,
> I realise that there are probably cheaper products out
there,
> and if we can get a support base for those products, that
> would be very good.  I don't have really time to go
searching
> round all the manufacturers, as the market is very fluid.
>
> Also, one thing in looking for these products is to do a
> google search to see if any security related info comes
up.
> For example, I installed a SMC router at a friends house,
> find that the management screens were open to the internet
by
> default on the default user details - not good.  I also
had a
> similar problem with a BT wireless router someone
purchased
> with a Plusnet starter bundle, and in both instances the
> firmware had to be upgraded before I had even really got
it
> working.  Not good plug and play!
>
> In all instances I avoid Linksys du to very poor support
and
> sudden dropping of support for new platforms.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Andrew.

Modem,
> Router, Firewall, which costs about Â70. Are there any
real
> benefits for me in going for the Draytek?
>
> Baring in mind I'm after a nice simple way to use a laptop

> wirelessly, plug and play as much as is possible!
>
>  Darran
> Darran

out
> called super
> | 54G, which runs at 108MBPS.  However, the details of
this
> are sketchy,
> | so if you go for this speed of wireless, ensure the
router and
> | manufacturer are the same manufacturer, and you may get
occasional
> | drop-outs etc.  Remember this is the speed of the
wireless, and the
> | fastest speed for ADSL is 2mbps, which is a lot slower
than your 54g
> | wireless speed.
> |
> | If you buy a router ensure you get one with an ADSL
modem and not a
> | broadband router.  The ones I am still recommending are
the Draytek
> | routers - you would want the 2600G which has four wired
LAN
> ports and a
> | wireless interface.  They are very easy to configure and

> diagnose, and
> | can be remotely managed.  http://www.seg.co.uk/.
> |
> | Thanks.
> | Andrew.