[access-uk] Re: Problem with installing iTunes on a Windows XP machine

  • From: Tristram Llewellyn <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:20:07 +0000

Hello Janet

I suspect it is not iTunes that has the problem but your CD/DVD drive.  Have
you tested by sticking in a music or computer CD.  Does the drive spin up at
all.  If you get no action at all then it may perhaps be the drivers for the
drive are not there you can check in device manager thus:
1       Open "control panel" and choose "system" and then the "hardware" tab.
2       Press SPACEBAR on the "Device manager" button.
3       In "Device Manager" down arrow to find your CD/DVD drive and press
right arrow to open the tree, then press down arrow and you should find your
CD/DVD drive component.
4       Press ENTER and that should bring up its properties.  In there it
should tell you whether Windows thinks it is working properly.

If you find that Windows thinks it is working properly I would perhaps not take
it at its word but press ESCAPE and then press the "Delete" key on the CD
device and remove it from the system.  Have Windows restart and see if this
will help, it may just be that the drivers need reinstalling which is what that
should do.  Otherwise it may be a hardware problem with the drive itself.
Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road