[access-uk] Problem Talking Watches

  • From: "JOHN" <john.godber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:46:56 +0100

Hello everybody,
I have been interested in the thread on watches and it has prompted me to some
actions:
1. first to get my colleagues in RNIB to look at how we speed up our own
service for changing watch batteries. We charge £3.50 to replace a single
battery and £4 if there are two and it can take a week to get done.
2. I believe we could offer to speak to any jewllers who are reluctant to
change talking watch batteries if customers let us have contact details. I know
that some sighted people are nervous of anything they think is somehow special
for blind people so some reassurance may help. we will put information on our
online shop too.

Batteries for talking watches do run out quicker than others because of the
power needed for the voice and six months is about right for life expectancy.

There are currently 65 watches within the RNIB range, 35 of those are talking.
16 of these talking watches have either been discontinued in the last year, or
will be once current stock is sold, as we aim to continuously improve our range
and look to not stock products which have relatively high return rates  or low
sales. We are always looking to source/develop new watches and there will be 10
new talking watches added to the range in July, several having hands which
automatically synchronise to the talking time, which helps reassure the user
that the hands are matching that spoken, and eliminates the need for a sighted
person to assist with the setting of the watch.

The price range of the talking watches is currently £4.25 ex vat for the
cheapest and £39.95 ex vat for the most expensive, which is radio controlled
and sets the time and date automatically. There is a variety of choice
including watches with or without alarms, different voices and those that are
radio controlled.

The returns rate of the range was about 4% for 2009/10, lower than the industry
standard of 5%.

I hope this information is helpful to people on this list. For those who don't
know, I am Head of Products and Publications at RNIB. Maybe I will get to meet
some of you at Sight Village. This year we will be launching some very exciting
new products there and will have a section on our website soon with full
information of everything which will be on the RNIB stand.
With good wishes,
John Godber