[access-uk] Re: PDAs and Mobile Speak

  • From: "Amro Bilal" <amro_bilal@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:41:14 +0100

Hi Gordon,

I switched from using Talks on a Nokia 9210 to use Mobile Speak Pocket on the
O2 XDA Mini S a month ago. MSP works with the other O2 XDA devices as well, but
I'd definitely go for either the XDA Mini or the XDA Exect for the simple two
facts that they run on the Windows 05 edition and they both have an integrated
keyboard. The XDA devices are soled under different names like QTeck from
Vodafone, IMate, and you can get them from TMobile as well. They all work with
MSP; they are essentially devices made by HTC.

Talking about MSP itself, in terms of the accessibility and functionality it
offers, it does what it says on the Code Factory's website

http://www.codefactory.es/index2.htm

I'd say skim through the Quick Reference Guide; it gives a good overview of MSP
and how it works. You may get a little board but that's what I did *Smile*.

MSP gives an access to all the Windows Mobile Suite apps out of the box, but I
only tried it with Word, Windows Media and IE and it works with no problems at
all. I haven't tried it with any third party applications so can't comment on
that. I like the way that MSP deals with the touch screen of PDA's to
manipulate the device. The input methods are quite clever too, though ideally
you'll need to use a Bluetooth keyboard or the device's keyboard if it has one,
if you planning to use your PDA to write emails and documents rather than just
text messages and the odd note.

I find commenting on MSP's Stability quite tricky. On one hand, it doesn't
crash if I use the PDA's functions, but on the other hand, when I use the
phone's part of my device I have to soft reset it at least once a day I'd say.
It seems that when MSP and the device fight over the speaker in the phone
application, the device wins more often. That's why I have my device set to
(vibrate only) on incoming calls and messages. In any case, a soft reset can be
easily done and it's like restarting your computer.

I took an advantage of the one month trial period that Code Factory offers. I
needed a bit of time to get used to the new way of dealing with the new device
because alike the Nokia communicators which are, I think, mobile phones with
PDA applications, this device is a PDA with a mobile phone application. So I
reckon dialling a number and making a phone call is a more straightforward task
on the Nokia communicators.

I'm happy to chat to you more about MSP on Skype or over the phone if you like;
I'm not very good in reviewing items by writing *Smile*

To sum up, after I've tried MSP for a month I purchased my copy of it. I think
it's well designed. I find Windows Mobile 05 cool and functional. The PDA's
with mobile phone capabilities these days small enough to fit into ones pocket
and they come with a reasonable processing power.

Hope that helps,

Amro