[access-uk] OT windows updates/microsoft.net framework

  • From: "Vanja Sudar" <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:16:59 +0100

I know this could be considered as off topic as it's not exactly an access
issue, but I've ran out of ideas about what to do. If people wish to decrease
the traffic on the list feel free to reply off list.

I am trying to download a critical windows update "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Service Pack 1 (KB110806)". When I run the update it takes ages to install,
then after about 10 minutes it tells me that the update could not be installed.
I then again obviously get notified in my system tray that the update is
available, but can't install it. I tried repairing .net framework by choosing
it from the add/remove programs option from the control panel, but I get the
message that the setup file has encountered the problem. A window opens to sent
the report to Microsoft, which I did and in the set up the only option I get is
the finish button. If I try to uninstall .net framework 2.0 I get the same
result. I even try to manually install .net framework 2.0 from the Microsoft
website thinking that if the setup file is corrupt the fresh one would work,
however even when I ran the fresh setup file it still gave me the same result.
I tried installing .net framework 3.0, but it would not let me. So, obviously
something is wrong, but since I can't even remove .net framework 2.0, what do I
do? I can't even contact Microsoft support without paying because unfortunately
I have windows OEM (never doing that again). So I'd be very grateful if anyone
can help me with this situation.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Vanja
http://www.sudar.co.uk