[access-uk] OT: Hi Fi

  • From: "Andy Logue" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:54:28 -0000

Hi all.

Now this question may be definitely off-topic, but I cannot think of another
list where I can raise the question.

I came into some cash during the latter part of last year and went out and
purchased a high-end home cinema system.  This really did cost me a bomb but
it represented a life-times dream of having a really top quality hi-fi,
which incorporated TV and video.

Last night I watched, un-subscribed, Terminator 2 and recorded this onto the
hard disk of my Pioneer DVD recorder.  This morning I returned to the system
to see if I managed to record the movie okay, and was very disappointed in
the sound quality.

My system is 7.1 and I have speakers all over the place and while watching
the movie, I was amazed by the sound affects.  However, this morning during
playback, the quality was nothing like what I had expected to record.

I used to own a Nicam Stereo video recorder which would record what you were
watching almost perfectly, so I was quite disappointed to see the lower
quality of recording.  Incidentally, the DVD Recorder was ex-demo and I paid
£250.  The RRP for this machine is over £700, so I felt quite gutted.

a few minutes ago I telephoned the shop to enquire if perhaps, I needed to
change the settings allowing me to record at a higher quality, but was told
the following.

SKY broadcast the movie in 5.1 pro-logic Dolby stereo but copywriter
protection, either in my recorder or in the digibox, only allows me to
record in stereo.  Incidentally, the shop in question have been out to my
home three times and are definitely very reluctant to make the half-day trip
again.

So eventually, to my question.  Does this sound right?  I understand that
copywrite prevents me from passing materials around and that's fine, but
surely, for my own use, in my own home, I should, given the spec on the
equipment, be able to record what I see and hear perfectly.

Sorry for the long winded question, but I smell a rat guys.

Any thoughts very appriciated
Thanks.

Best wishes.

Andy Logue