[access-uk] Re: Networking a new printer

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:17:10 -0000

Hi Phil,

Pity you could not have ordered a network ready version.
Given you have a spare port on your Router, a network cable
would have been all you needed.

At the end of the day, you probably have two main choices.

1)  Buy and install a "Print Server".  (Parallel or Serial,
depending on what connections you have on the printer)  You
can also get Wireless Print Servers if needed.

2) Hook it up to the desktop PC on the network, which of
course would have to remain switched on when you want to use
the printer.  (I've not suggested the laptop, since I assume
you want that to remain mobile)

After that, and depending on what you decide, it's mainly a
case of installing and sharing the printer, but we can cover
that later.

George.