[access-uk] Re: Microsoft Edge favourites hotkey?

  • From: Amro Bilal <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 01:41:40 +0100

Thanks David. Ah, got ya… this is not a bad idea, though I have 23 folders averaging 10 internet shortcuts in each so it will take me a little while to create such folder! BTW, I quite like the options in Edge to sort shortcuts by name and to remove duplicates - I like to keep things tidy.

Thanks once more for your help.

Kind regards,

Amro

On 17/06/2020 01:18 am, David Griffith wrote:

On the last point  I don’t mean an html file but a proper internet shortcut.

So you are on a page on the web

Press alt D to go to the address bar.

Control C to copy the URL address

Now alt tab to the desktop or a File Explorer folder perhaps called Key Links or Favorites folder.

Hopefully your screenreader will say not selected.

If you have any file selected you need to press control space to de-select so your screenreader says not selected.

Press application key and then W for new and cursor down once to shortcut and press enter.

Press control V to paste in the web address and press enter.

Now type in th e name you want for your shortcut and press enter again.

|Your should now have created your internet shortcut which you can keep anywhere – on the Desktop for example..

.This I can do surprisingly quickly as I am used to it though it is undeniably takes a little more time than adding a favourite via a browser.

However you are never again tied  to managing Favourites in any particular browser like Chrome Edge Brave or Firefox. The shortcuts are very easily organised into folders and sub-folders in standard windows file explorer windows. They are also reliably used by any browser you happen to be using on any device if you keep this folder of shortcuts on something like DropBox..

This same folder of shortcuts will for example work just as well for launching web sites in Safari on the mac or on an iPhone and the last time I checked on Android devices. I have even transferred these shortcuts to an ancient Nokia talks enabled phone so that  I could open websites on that device.

David Griffith

..