[access-uk] Re: Mail for Exchange

  • From: "Hussein Patwa" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 01:05:33 +0200

Hi Eleanor,

OK, there're two parts to your question, but the simple answer is that
MAil for Exchange is the program for Symbian Smartphones that allows for
push e-mail capabilities for e-mail hosted on Microsoft Exchange servers.

For information on push e-mail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail#Mail_for_Exchange

So, if, as my University does, you have an e-mail account hosted on an
Exchange server, you can use Mail for Exchange to connect to it and have
the mail pushed to your phone.  It's a form of always on connection,
although for the purposes of power management the 'always on' nature can
be changed to a more manual sync if needed.  In addition, Mail for
Exchange also has options for synchronising calendar, contacts and other
PIM content between your phone and server.  An advantage of this is, for
example, if you schedule a meeting on your phone.  that meeting schedule
can then be synced with the server.  Then, you check your mail on your
desktop computer and the schedule will be synced from the server to the
desktop, although only of course if you're connecting to the server via MS
Exchange rather than IMAP.  In addition, note that most Exchange servers
will also allow IMAP connections, although this is more a fallback rather
than the accepted way of doing things, and IMAP settings are often hard to
come by in documentation for Exchange accounts.

HTH for a start.