[access-uk] Re: MS Publisher and Jaws

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:07:39 +0100

Kirsten, don't know where you got the impression MS products are generally so
accessable in their entirety as you seem to be saying, even with JAWS! (smile)
I'm only offering these thoughts as someone who has worked on magazine stuff
with
a Publisher user.  I'm aware too though that many totally blindpeople might not
really appreciate how complex DTP can get.

Don't get me wrong, MS has recently done much more in the accessability of its
products, and Office 2007 should be generally very accessable from what I'm
hearing, not least because of work with screen reader vendersvendors.

When it comes to Publsher though, and anything to do with page layout, it is
expecting a lot and maybe the impossible too, that Publisher can be accessable
or
usable to someone with no sight.  Maybe, and just maybe, if manipulation of text
frames were all that one wanted to do, then something could be done.  However,
DTP
is about more than text frames:  you have graphical objects, pictures, Wordart
objects and a good deal else.  Also, these are often overlaid one on top of
another for visual appeal.

By the way, I am not saying a blind person cannot work collabroatievly in
contributing to Publisher documents using Word and Word itself can get to be
pretty Publisher like in the appearance of some documents that can be produced
using Word's very advanced formatting and graphical facilities.  Problems can
arrise though when, in the final Publisher layout someone decides they want to
change something, either in the actual text, or the formatting.  Reflecting
these
changes back to the originator who is using Word can be problematic if the
Publisher user isn't used to extracting text and saving it as Word documents.
(Not all Publisher users are necessarily knowledgable in this area.)

I have a bit of sight and I've enjoyed using publisher for flyers, designing CD
covers and labels and the like, but I boggle at the thought of trying to explain
this, let alone tell a blind person, how to do it.
From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx