[access-uk] M S Anti-Spyware

  • From: "Darran Ross" <darran.ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:43:34 -0000

Following the recent thread, I thought I'd post this article lifted from a newsletter published by Scot Finnie. As it states, its only a quick look with first impressions, but the comment about the User Interface did make me smile - considering what has been said. Anyway, here it is:

First Look: Microsoft AntiSpyware 1.0 Beta
By now you've probably heard that Microsoft intends to jump into both the anti-spyware and antivirus product categories by offering Windows utilities that
will reportedly be free for download. Last Friday, Microsoft offered its first version of the anti-spyware program it purchased from
Giant Company Software
in December.
Microsoft AntiSpyware
1.0 Beta. You can download it and try it for yourself from this
Microsoft Downloads page.
For more on the news about Microsoft AntiSpyware and reactions from companies like Symantec, see TechWeb's
Microsoft Jumps into Spyware Space with Beta.

I spent two hours over the weekend putting Microsoft AntiSpyware through its paces with a test machine that, conveniently, has been cruising the Internet
almost daily for six months without spyware protection. I downloaded the latest versions of Ad-Aware SE and Spybot - Search & Destroy, since they're both
free and in wide usage. Here are my conclusions.

Microsoft AntiSpyware offers a real-time monitor, automatic spyware-signature updates, and provides an optional peer-based exploit-detection data-sharing
mechanism to help protect against fast-breaking new spyware woes. Microsoft AntiSpyware has an Internet Explorer anti-hijack feature. It can quarantine
or delete spyware it disables on your machine. It has the ability to optionally save a Windows restore point. It gives you a way to access to Internet
Explorer BHOs (Browser Help Objects), ActiveX apps, start-up programs, IE settings, IE toolbars, and other trouble spots that tend to be the areas where
spyware latches on. Microsoft AntiSpyware has a rich feature set for a program you can download for free. It also has an absolutely excellent user interface.

Unlike Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Pest Patrol (the latter wasn't tested for this story), Microsoft AntiSpyware completely ignores "tracking cookies." In its
Tracks Eraser, found in the Advanced Tools area, it offers a function that erases all your cookies, but it doesn't display standard advertising cookies
on its scan-results screen. Frankly, I find this refreshing. In most cases, so-called tracking cookies, while not exactly beneficial, don't threaten any
significant aspect of your privacy. They support Internet advertising, but not in invasive ways. It might be possible for a tracking cookie to be used
in conjunction with a truly nasty spyware program, but I suspect Microsoft AntiVirus would be on top of that sort of thing. Deeper testing would be required
to be sure.

Like every other spyware test I've ever run, the test subjects each found threats the others didn't. I'll spare you the details, but when you strip out
the tracking cookies, Ad-Aware didn't find jack, Spybot found the ever-popular DSO Exploit (but since this PC's version of Internet Explorer is completely
up to date, it's probably protected from DSO), and Microsoft AntiSpyware found the MySearchBar adware and MySearchBar browser plug-in. Of the three, I would
have to give a D to Ad-Aware, a C to Spybot, and a B to Microsoft AntiSpyware. All three of these tools should have found MySearchBar, though. Only the
new Microsoft utility did.

In our tests, AntiSpyware's very rapid Quick Scan found the exact same list of problems found by its very slow Deep Scan. Unlike Spybot and Ad-Aware, AntiSpyware's
deep scan appears to scan every file on your computer. It takes significantly longer than the other two products - about as long as Pest Patrol's scan
took in tests I ran a couple years back. The AntiSpyware scan is configurable, and it operates more like Ad-Aware's scan than SpyBot's. AntiSpyware's results
screen also provides a good deal of information, something that's always been a Spybot weakness.

All in all, I'm impressed with Microsoft AntiSpyware at first look. I intend to use it on a long-term basis, and if it makes sense to, I'll come back and
review it in more detail later.

** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send a message, to ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq