[access-uk] Hearing with bone conduction headphones:

  • From: "Angel" <angel238@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 08:36:09 -0400

Recently there was discussion about the fact music wasn't heard as well using
bone conduction headphones.  I was just listening to a lecture on the ears
ability to hear certain sounds.  I learned, there are two ways of hearing.  One
either hears through air or bone conduction.  If one hears through air, one is
better able to hear higher frequencies.  Which are found in music.  If one
hears through bones, one is less likely to hear higher frequencies heard in
music.  So, the bone conduction head phones are not at fault if music is heard
more poorly than is speech.  The fault lies, if there is fault to be found, in
that bone conduction hearing itself is different than sound conducted through
air.
"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to
accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." --Helen Keller