[access-uk] Re: Government offers free receivers for digital TV switchover

  • From: "Damon" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:26:55 +0100

I'm assuming that this also goes for blind people and that the constant
references to 'partially sighted people' is just a reflection of the low
knowledge and discomfort of the press release writer.

Having AD in these free boxes was a big deal as I recall. Interested to hear
they have finally overcome this.

At this rate though, whether we're rolling in cash and very tech savvy or not,
I think blind people should be applying for these boxes when the time is right
purely because the industry, the broadcasters and all involved have seriously
cocked up when it comes to including this technology in ordinary cheap freeview
boxes. So much talk about the digital underclass yet government and ofcom still
haven't managed to seriously address the fact that in 2007 it's not possible to
buy a bog standard 20 pound Freeview box with AD built in.

The blind community passively sit by as usual. Hopefully this is good news.

...Damon