[access-uk] Re: Google Chromecast device

  • From: Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 14:12:04 +0100

Hi Mark;

I don't know what your level of vision is, but before you buy one, you
might want to read the AFB AccessWorld Magazine's review of how
accesible it is: http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw150305

Also, bear in mind that the Chromecast doesn't actually store anything
itself - it needs to be "driven" from another device. Once it's been
pointed in the right direction, as it were, you can use the
controlling device for other things as the Chromecast then takes over
the streaming directly from the network.

As a sighted person, I think the device is absolutely fantastic,
especially for just under £30 including postage. However, it's clear
from reading reviews that some people didn't really understand what it
was before purchasing.

As long as you understand that it's not a standalone media player that
you load up with your music, and you acknowledge the inherent
accessibility limitations, then it's fantastic.

I'd be really interested in reading any writeup if you decide to do one.