[access-uk] Re: Funding a Course

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:46:53 +0100

Well Graham I know the feeling as I am currently doing an Open University degree. However, I have not found any assistance personally but I know that there will be various Grants available for people. There is a book at the Library on Charities who provide Grants for education and it would be a matter of going through something like this and picking ones that are appropriate to you. Once for instance I got about £500 from a charity that helped Women. It might even be that you can go back to where you did your 1st degree and see if they have charitable funds. Again an example is that if one has an Open University degree there is within the Open University a Fund called the Crowther Fund and Open University students can apply to it if they are going on to other education. Finally a friend of mine who has just completed the LLB at the Open University was looking for funding to go on to Law School to train as a Solicitor. This is very expensive at five thousand per year. She is not disabled in any way but again she lives in Hereford and she found some local organisation within Hereford that assisted people in further education provided it could be shown that she would use her education in the locality and that she came from that locality. They actually gave her three thousand and five hundred pounds!!! for her first year and said she can come back again the following year as it will cost her another five thousand then. Sorry I have nothing more concrete but I would even ask a social worker who might be able to assist.

Eleanor
----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Lewis [gjl]" <gjl@xxxxxxxxxx>