[access-uk] Re: Free Screenreader Is There already

  • From: "Clive Pallett" <clive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 18:08:30 +0100

Hello Ray and fellow listers,

the new free screen reader is called thunder. You cannot download it yet, but I have looked at the manual. There is support for word, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer, the latter must be used with WebbIE.

the concept is very similar to Lookout in that there are musical tones to determine your position along a line of text or how far up or down the screen the cursor is. there is no mention in the manual what synthesiser is used, but when the program is installed you have a choice of voices or you can download the Realspeak voice, which you will need to pay for.

I would like to try it out, but I think I will stick with good old Hal for my computer access.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett