[access-uk] FAT32 and NTFS on same system

  • From: Douglas Harrison <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:59:45 -0000

When my Toshiba laptop (XP Pro) was originally set up for me,  the c
partition was made smaller than I would like and although I have plenty of
space in other partitions I have to watch the free space on C: very carefully.

one thing I do occasionally is to move any $NTuninstall items from
c:\Windows onto another partition, to free up space.  I did this today but
after moving over 300 mb, the free space on the partition is shown as being
unchanged, which seems very odd.

Two other things about this c partition surprrise me.  For some reason, it is
using FAT32 whilst the other two are NTFS.   Also the Defragmenter
analysis has for a long time reported "The partition does not need to be
defragmented", yet the other two have to be defragmented fairly frequently.

I am concerned that the FAT32 is at the root of my odd situation, but would
be grateful for any comments or suggestions.

Many thanks,

Douglas
       .     --

Douglas Harrison