[access-uk] External sound card help needed

  • From: "ANDY COLLINS" <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:15:26 -0000

Hi all -

If I can't resolve my headphone problem, I was wondering if getting an external
sound card would do the trick, I've found one on Amazon that says:

USB 5.1 Stereo Sound Card Adaptor - Windows 7 Compatible
by SFH Distribution

Technical Details
  a.. Virtual 5.1 USB sound card
  b.. Line out for speakers / headphones - Line in for microphone
  c.. No existing sound card required. This sound card works completely
independently
  d.. No additional power required - Completely powered by the USB port
  e.. Compatible with Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7

I'm wondering how this would work in tandem with my onboard sound card, could I
some how keep the onboard card for when I'm listening via the built-in
speakers, and just plug the external card in when I want to use headphones? If
so, tips on what I'll need to do to have both cards available, and how to
switch between them would be much appreciated.

Thanks -

Andy