[access-uk] Re: Digital phones accesible to sight-impaired people

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "carol.pearson29" for DMARC)
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:39:32 +0100

Hi Clive,

Maybe you've already done this, but it's worth contacting Blazie, perhaps, to see if they're still doing any Jaws scripting and what they think of the possibility of doing this to solve your problem.

I do hope you get a satisfactory solution and certainly I'm watching the thread with interest ...

Carol P
On 20/10/2015 12:58, Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello all,

About a year or so ago, we migrated from an analogue phone system to a digital replacement system. Much of the functionality relies on touch screens, and menu-driven options which are silent. In addition, the idea is that your phone and your desktop work interactively with each other, so you go into the intranet to log in and out of the system, and to auto-forward your calls to the phone you are using when off site...except that the icon seen on the front page when you log into the intranet cannot be heard. It's not just inaccessible with speech, it's totally undetectable.

True or false? "Digital phones" (by which our technician means landline handsets) "designed for users with sight-impairments are really non-existent at the moment, which means that if we want to procure a phone for you, it will likely have to be an old-style analogue phone." If there are any such handsets, what are they and wherecan you buy them?

*The second question is: how likely is it that Jaws scripting could resolve the problem of the undetectable icon on the intranet home page?*

**

*And finally, does anyone else have any experience of using the phone system we have installed? We call it 'unified communications'. The web-based side of the system is called Openscape, made by the German firm, Siemans.*

**

**

*Clive Lever*

/Diversity and Equality Officer/