[access-uk] Dab Personal Radio GMYLE® PPM001

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 22:57:41 +0000

Just as an update on this small DABFM Mp3  radio.

1. It is now in stock on Amazon again after selling out. It is still only £32.99. 2. Whilst it is an excellent radio for DAB an FM I was initially struggling with the MP3 Player.

I think after experimenting I can give slightly more helpful guidance on using the MP3 player function.

Firstly . You need to purchase a Micro SD Card and although you can record from this radio onto the SD card I have not worked out how to do this yet. So you should assemble your music or media folder on your computer.

What I know you can do is;

1. Press the DAB FM Mp3 button on under the screen of the radio on the right until you cannot hear FM or DAB. You will then be in Mp3 mode. 2. Like devices like the Plextalk or VRS it will take time for the radio to read the contents of the SD card but you will not get any audio feedback on this process of reading the card. You should wait about 30 seconds and then from time to time press the center play button. Eventually it will start playing the media from the first folder of your card.
3. Clicking right or left will move you from track to track.

Changing Folders.
I have found the following works for 2 folders. I have not experimented more with larger numbers of folders.

1. Press the menu button on the left twice.
2. Click down once on the cursor ring.
3. Press the center button.
4. This appears to place the Mp3 player in folder navigation mode. I found that by clicking down once more and pressing enter I was placed in the next folder. Pressing the center button starts playing the first track in this next folder. I suspect that to move more than one folder at a time you simply click down more than once but I have not tested this yet as I only have two folders on the card at the moment.

What I have not discovered how to do.
1. Fast forward or rewind. The apparent lack of this means that this little mp3 player is probably best used for comparatively short music tracks rather than audio books. Despite this I have been using it surprisingly a lot for music when I have got tired of the radio. 2. The Mp3 player does not appear to remember the content where you last were on the card and I do not believe that there is a bookmarking feature. This is another indication that this mp3 player is best suited for shorter music rather than longer media or book track. 3. As I say I have not managed to discover how to record the radio from either FM or DAB though it can definitely do this.

So it is probably best as a standby mp3 player but given I bought it as primarily an accessible DAB radio all this is a bonus really.

David Griffith