[access-uk] Current state of accessibility of smart TVs

  • From: "Gary Robinson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gary.r30" for DMARC)
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 16:33:06 +0100

Hello all,

I  have a Panasonic smart TV, now over 5 years old and was thinking about replacing it if the accessibility of newer models have improved significantly.

My old TV can do the following;-

audio Description - pretty much universal these days i think.

talking programme guide -  adequate but not as comprehensive as say the TVonics one.

Talking system menus - very limited.

TV Apps - totally unusable, no accessability at all.

Web browsing/mail - Technically it could speak the browser screen but only line by line and no cognisance of controls or layout.

My understanding of the current state of smart TV accessability is as follows;-

Audio description - pretty much the same.

Talking programme guide - again pretty much the same, do any sets enable access to previous programmes?  My old set could move backwards to allow access to last weeks programmes (IPTV) but the talking programme guide wouldn't voice it so it was in effect unusable.

Talking system menus - I believe that both samsung and LG permit pretty good access to all their internal menus via speech these days and even enable you to make recordings on USB stick or hard drive.

TV apps - again still not accessable, if you want to use these apps then you need a third party device such as an Amazon Firestick or Apple TV(which I use)..

Web browsing/mail - Some of the new TVs use a proprietary flavour of Android OS but does the screen reader work any better to enable the use of basic web apps such as the browser or e mail?

I would be glad to hear from anyone with one of the newer smart TVs who can provide more evidence on what they can or still can't do.

Gary

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq