[access-uk] Re: Configuring websites for jaws

  • From: "Alasdair King" <alasdairking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 21:26:02 +0100

The problem (if it is a problem, see below) is that your JAWS users
will be using Internet Explorer or Firefox (or some other browser) to
fetch the web pages, not JAWS. So you can't tell. The browser (UA
string) is the same.

Unless, and I can find no sign of this with a Google and I've never
read anything about it, starting JAWS sets the the SPI_GETSCREENREADER
flag in Windows, and Internet Explorer then uses the "aural" or
"braille" media CSS type. That would make sense. But it doesn't.

If I may, and feel free to shoot me down, the problem is that
assistive technology vendors and users have learned that the best
approach is usually to try to get the same content as a sighted person
gets, rather than rely on the content provider providing an
alternative that is as up-to-date, useful and rich. For example, let's
say you can identify your JAWS users: now, you might decide that the
iPlayer pages should take JAWS users into a more accessible page
design. Alas, you start getting this implemented, then there is
another BBC shake-up and the site doesn't get updated, so the
programmes available to sighted people aren't available to
screenreader users. Assistive technology that works with what sighted
people get knows it gets the latest and best content.

--
Cheers,
Alasdair King

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Chris Hallsworth
<christopherhallsworth71@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, when the website loads, press shift JAWS key v. This will open the
> personalized settings dialogue box. Hope that helps.
>
> --
> Why not join my Blind Hobbyist group? To join, send a blank message to
> blind-hobbyist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Thanks, Chris

Alasdair King