[access-uk] Comments on new Tesco access facility

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 21:20:28 +0100

Hi all

I've just used the new tesco access facility on the main site and am generally
very impressed with it.  Not only does it work well with speech (JAWS version
7), but it seems to have been designed from the ground up for users of
assistive technology.  The layout and organisation of the new system is far
more logical than the old access site, and essential information is provided on
each page so that you don't have to keep loading specific pages to review the
total cost of your order or information like that.

a couple of problems: Firstly Tesco have been making a big thing about the fact
that this new system is a "Skin" for the main site, not a completely separate
site.  however, when I went into my account settings to enable the
accessibility, the option was called "use access site".  Go figure, as the
Americans say.  Secondly, on the payment screen there are two "confirm my
order" buttons, one after the order summary and one after the boxes for card
details.  This is potentially confusing, as to a non-sighted user (well to this
one at least) it gives the impression that the button will bring up another
screen requesting payment details.  They would be better off just having one
button at the bottom of the page.  Finally, and most seriously, I think there
must initially have been some sort of error when I entered my card details,
because although no error message was displayed, instead the browser just
refreshed with the order confirmation page.  Something seems to have gone wrong
there.

Over all though, very well designed indeed.

James