[access-uk] Re: Centred web pages & screen magnifiers.

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:46:50 +0100

Tink.  I do not have that much eye sight, but when I do use
magnification then centred web pages are generally a good idea.

In the first place, having a decent margin of white space to left
and right means I can use the minimum magnification necessary
without losing context, that is, a view of where things are
relative to one another.  Secondly, if I use a 'lense' type view
for magnification then there's a bit more space available to
accomodate the lense at whatever zoom level I want.

There is one more instance in which I use a zoom facility, and
that is enlargement of pictures and images.
  I use an IE plug-in for this which works admirably with IE6,
although it was designed for 5.5.  In this way I can magnify an
image without affecting the srounding text or whatever.  Really
useful where designers insist on dumping graphical images of text
within a webpage.  If such images are centred, then all the
better.

I think the ability to list links in Window-Eyes and JAWS - and
most probably HAL too - beats any effort of mine to search for
links visually with magnification.  Of course, if links will not
speak at all, then I have to usemagnification.
HTH
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx