[access-uk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Removing songs from Iphone

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "kevin.lloyd3" for DMARC)
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 19:44:01 -0000

Hi Mandy.

To create a smart playlist:
1. Enter alt + F to open the File Menu.
2. You should now see the New submenu, arrow right to open it.
3. Arrow down to Smart Playlist and press enter.
4. You are now in the dialogue to create a smart playlist.
5. You will probably need to shift tab twice to get to the item on which you will create your smart playlist, for example, Artist, Date Added, Genre, Last played, etc. There are 44 items you can select from.
6. The following steps will create a playlist for songs that have not been played in the last 3 months.
a) Set the first field to Last Played as mentioned a couple of steps back.
b) Tab to the next field and arrrow down to the setting described as Not In The Last.
c) Tab again into the edit field and enter 3 for the number of months.
d) Tab again now to the next combo box and arrow down to Months.
7. After you have set all of the above, tab down to the setting described as Limit To checkbox and press spacebar to check this.
8. Now tab into the next field and set it to 1,000 for the number of songs you want to limit to your playlist.
9. Tab again to the next combo box and set this value to Items.
10. Now tab to the OK button and press spacebar to activate it.
11. Now give your smart playlist a name and press enter.

When you have completed the above, your smart playlist will appear in the side bar along with Music, Device, iTunes Store, etc. You can tab into the list of songs and see what the smart playlist has selected for you.

The final step is to connect your iPhone, open up the devices menu and select the music settings tab. Go to the checkbox for Synchronise Selected Playlists only and check this. You will now see a tree view with all of the playlists available and you can de-select all apart from your new smart playlist using the spacebar. Ensure your smart playlist is checked.

Whenever you connect your iPhone, it will synchronise it to the contents of the smart playlist. As you play songs on your computer or iPhone, details will be updated in the iTunes database so that the playlist will change the contents when it knows you have listened to a song on your iPhone or computer.

It may seem quite complex but it is really quite straightforward once you start experimenting. You can make your smart playlists as simple or as complicated as you like with multiple conditions. For example, you could have a smart playlist for songs that have not been played in the last 3 months, that have been played less than 10 times and have a duration of less than 5 minutes.

As for backing up, personally I back up my ripped music collection to a hard drive but I do have a large collection of iTunes purchases which I don't store on my iPhone and leave those in the cloud. Consequently, I have 1,207 full albums on my iPhone at the moment which are a mixture of ripped albums actually being synched to my iPhone with no purchases included. The current smart playlist I'm using to do this simply has the following rule:
First combo box set to Purchased
Next combo box set to Is False

Regards.

Kevin
-----Original Message----- From: Mandy Palmer
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:47 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Bulk] [access-uk] Re: [Bulk] Removing songs from Iphone

Thanks Kevin that's helpful. Where do I find the smart play list feature,
and how do I get it to work, sorry I'm a bit thick about this! Is it also
better to back to the cloud and the computer or one or the other? I'm always
eager for suggestions.
Thanks again

Mandy