[access-uk] Braille computer game

  • From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:00:00 +0100

I thought some list members maybe interested in the following from BCAB
list.

From Marion Ripley of Clearvision.

Nick Adamson, a professional software engineer, has this month launched
Dotris, the only computer game on the market which is designed to be played
on a refreshable braille display.  The purpose of the game is to build a
wall of dots using the shapes provided. Dotris will run on any windows
machine capable of running a screen reader. It  requires the use of a
braille display with at least 12 cells and 6 controls such as whiz wheels,
buttons and cursor routing switches. It can be used by a braille note taker
such as BrailleNote of PAC Mate but only if it is in terminal mode, ie
connected to a computer. Dotris can be downloaded from Nick's website
www.ndadamson.com

There is no charge for downloading Dotris but it is not free. Users are
expected to put a value on the game and make an appropriate donation to the
ClearVision children's braille library via the BT MyDonate button on the
NDAdamson website.  ClearVision is a UK postal lending library which adapts
children's books so that they can be shared by print and braille-reading
children and adults. It costs approximately £15 to add a new book to the
ClearVision library. Nick says  "ClearVision is a fantastic service which
has enabled me to read to my kids. I worry about the decline in braille
skills and trying to publicise and raise money for the ClearVision library
is my attempt to help slow this decline."