[access-uk] Bluetooth question

  • From: "Catherine Turner" <catherineturner2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 16:50:37 +0100

Hello all,

I've got a laptop with a bluetooth card and wireless network card. To switch between the two, or switch them both on/off, one needs to press the fn key with a function key. I'm not able to do this because I can only use one hand.

Is there any way, within Windows, to switch these devices on/off?

Experimenting, I went into Control Panel and device manager. I found 2 bluetooth things listed there. Under Human Interface Devices there is Bluetooth HID Enum Device; under Network Adapters there is Bluetooth Pan Network Adapter. I don't know whether either of these are the bluetooth card or not. A friend who has his bluetooth card switched on says that when it is switched on there appears an item in Control Panel itself called Bluetooth, which I don't have.

But I thought I might as well enable the bluetooth pan network adapter. It was disabled, which Windows told me was usually because it was either not working or causing resource conflict. Since the key combination I can't do switches between the bluetooth card and the wireless card, I thought maybe this was the right thing I need to enable. So I enabled it but there is no item in Control Panel called Bluetooth. Could this be just because I don't have anything connected using the bluetooth? Or would the Bluetooth item appear in Control Panel just by the bluetooth card being switched on.

My friend says that he doesn't think I would be able to do anything with the bluetooth card until it's switched on, and Windows can't recognise it until it's switched on. It seems from the manual of my laptop that this keystroke I can't do is the way to switch it on. So is it true I can't do anything with the card from Windows until it's switched on? If so am I completely stuck? Or is there some way to change that keystroke?

Catherine