[access-uk] Re: [BCAB] Satellite radio

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BCAB Discussion List'" <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:58:38 +0100

I'm cross-posting to Access-UK for the benefit of Sonata users subscribed
there.

Hi Graham

I think Tune In cost me something like 59p, and I think it's great and very
accessible with VoiceOver.  I am going to download OoTunes and see what it
is like.  I already have iBlink Radio, but don't use it anywhere as much as
Tune In.

Incidentally, I can update people on the Sonata Plus as I spoke to Wireless
For the Blind yesterday, just for my own curiosity following someone's
forwarded post to this list about it.

The upshot is this.  The new version is NOT an upgrade, so those who already
have a Sonata cannot trade in or have the machine upgraded in any capacity.
The Sonata Plus has a new motherboard in it, and its advantages over the
existing model are:

1.  The configuration menu now speaks, which means you can put in your own
wireless key without sighted assistance.  Additionally, you can put in
multiple network keys that the machine will remember, useful if you move it
around.

2.  The new Sonata comes with an SD card slot, and supports cards up to
32GB.  It also comes with two USB ports that will allow you to connect a pen
or CD player even.

3.  There is now the facility to be able to speed up and alter the pitch of
the voice, but I am not clear if this includes the material you are
listening to such as an audio book or podcast.

4.  Calibre is coming on board within the next few months, so you will be
able to have a bookshelf of their titles.

5.  Apparently, wireless and general accessibility is faster, though the
shape and controls on the unit are exactly the same as they are on the
original unit.  They have now replaced what I describe as the kettle lead
with a power pack, presumably to make more room inside the machine for the
new board.

I was informed that they are doing a "special" price on the new Sonata of
£349 at the moment.  As they are a charity, they will not consider
trade-ins, and only people on means-tested benefits can apply for one on
permanent loan.  There is an annual charge of £25 for those who buy their
own, and this fee is paid if you have one on permanent loan.

I was told that the voice has changed, but the person I talked to didn't
know what the new voice is.  Now whether this means the voice on start-up
and configuration menu, or the list you choose from, I don't know.

Anyway that's as much as I know if that helps.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns